Friday 4 February 2011

Buying green... Is it really that hard? And Chicken Blind Date.

I love food. No I mean really... I love food. My life mostly revolves around food. I'd say that about 60% of the conversations I have had in my life have revolved in some way around food. I know people who just eat because it is a necessity and meal times for them is just a case of ensuring they have the right balance of carbs, protein, etc. I am in no way like that. I enjoy cooking and - when I have the money - I even enjoy doing food shopping. But food shopping these days has become a personal battle between my personal values, my monetary constraints and my no-time-for-anything-but-essay-writing lifestyle.

When it comes to food, I like buying as green as possible (and no I don't mean the colour). Here's a crash course in buying green for those of you who are perhaps not in the know. It's simple. Buy local. Buy seasonal. Buy organic. Buy fresh. Why do I find it important to buy green? Well it's partly because I'm an environmentalist (self-confessed), but I think mostly it's because of how I've been brought up. Half my family lives in the south of France where the food is fresh, it's Mediterranean, it's healthy... and most importantly, it's yummy! Eating like that is cheaper over there. As for the other side of my family, well let's just say that's where I get my insatiable love for food from. With them, and my Mother in particular, I think it's more about trying, cooking and experiencing new foods.

The problem is that in Britain, there is a common perception that buying green is more expensive. I'm not going to lie - it is, especially if you buy produce from local and farmers' markets. But what most people don't realise yet is that most supermarkets now increasingly cater for environmentally-friendly foods. That means there's a market growing for this kind of produce. And in return that means that prices are not ridiculously over-priced. Waitrose is, without a doubt, at the forefront of this movement but it is not alone. Next time you go shopping, actually take a look at what you're buying. Likelihood is that product will have a label on it, and on that label is probably a country/location of origin, a logo to show that it follows British food standards or the Soil Association Organic Standard Logo. And then look at the price difference between those products and the rest of the shelf.

I'm in Sainsbury's (well... online). I'm in the poultry aisle and what I see in front of me is three choices. Now let me put on my best Cilla Black accent... ahem.
Contestant Number One! Who are ya and where do ya come from? - Hello my name is Sainsbury's Basic Chicken Fillets and I come from .... [well you don't want to know where that chicken comes from. I could write a whole post on that, but I won't. If you're interested, watch 'Our Daily Bread']. You can buy me for £6.96/kg [that's £2.50 for 360g pack].
Contestant Number Two! Who are ya and where do ya come from? - Hiya! I'm Sainsbury's Free Range Chicken Breasts (Taste the Difference thank you very much).  I've led a happy and healthy life and I can be yours for £14.99/kg [that's £5.39 for 360g pack].
And finally, Contestant Number Three! Who are ya and where do ya come from? - Hi there. I'm Sainsbury's So Organic Chicken Breat Fillets. I've also lead a healthy lifestyle, but I've also been bred in a way that hasn't harmed the environment. You can buy me for £16.99/kg [that's £6.11 for 360g pack].

If you look in most supermarkets, these will be the different options that you get. So which would you go for? I would advise anyone to steer away from Contestant Number 1 (and that's coming from a student). Of course this is Sainsbury's, so all contestants are likely to come from Britain which is a good start. But the price difference between the organic and non-organic options are not actually that significant. I don't reprimand anyone who goes for option number 2, I do it myself because I'm a student who lives off £15/week and that 70p difference makes a hell of a difference. But when I'm earning (if I ever manage to get a job), I know that I will be moving onto Contestant Number 3. OK so that makes me sound a bit like a chicken-whore... but the point is that there is not that much difference in price.

I think also that's it's not only about buying organic - that's just the cherry on top. Start off slow. Buying local is really the important thing. If you buy local, then it means that the produce is necessarily seasonal, as fresh as you can find it, and it's something to be proud about! Once you start looking at where your food comes from you, you'll see it starts to become a bit of an addiction. And then it becomes a statement. And really, Sainsburys got it right when they said you can Taste the Difference... (bad joke?)

Now... what's for dinner?

3 comments:

  1. Encouraging people to eat organic should be applauded but I'm concerned that you see no distinction between farmer's market organic and supermarket organic. Farmer's market organic is more a way of life, where as supermarket organic can be cynically seen as the homogenisation of organic to meet increased demand through the increased realisation that the food they've supplied for years is a horrible mass produced illusion of choice. A considerable amount of organic products in supermarkets meet only the minimum requirements for the organic standard and are produced on a large industrial scale. Supermarkets have exploited a niche and small scale organic farmers (read traditional or first wave) have struggled to meet the increase in demands. Instead this demand has largely been met by industrialised farms diversifying their operations to meet the organic demand.

    When you can buy "organic" aunt bessies yorkshire puddings, what does organic even mean any more?

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rich. I very much agree with you when you say that there is a significant difference in between the produce which you can get from farmers' markets and the organic produce from supermarkets; in terms of quality, price and undoubtedly like you say in terms of production. However I am inclined to take a more positive view on the supermarket produce(perhaps too optimistic you may say...).

    The reason behind this is that, above all, it is us consumers who need to change our ways. And I feel that the 'supermarket organic' is - for the moment - the most feasible option for the majority of the public. Consider it a sort of baby step. As people become increasingly entrenched in the organic way of life, then those people will be increasingly attracted to the more traditional, small-scale and localised organic produce which you can get from markets. That sounds a bit too optimistic doesn't it?? I still have hope...

    The other point to note is that, unfortunately, local and organic markets cannot alone sustain our demand for food . There is a need for the more industrialised supermarket-production-process. Nevertheless, the point that you make about supermarkets only meeting minimum standards is also true. So something needs to be done to deal with that. But is that the responsibility of the consumer or of the producer?

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like all relationships I guess. We'll take what they give but they'll only give what we take. Perhaps the solution is to raise the standards of what is considered organic that way the supermarkets have to change and the consumer benefits from a better class of product.

    ReplyDelete