Tuesday 25 January 2011

"Surely you can't be serious" "I am serious... and don't call me Shirley."

It's the end of a long month, culminating in a depressing exam on environmental policy. So tired. Feel like I need to catch up on 2 months worth of sleep (the joys of being a Masters student...). But I still wanted to remind people of the wise words of Lt. Frank Drebin:

"I've learnt something this week. About the Earth. And about Love. I guess love's like the ozone layer, you never miss it till it's gone. Blowing away a fleeing suspect with my Magnum was everything to me. I enjoyed it, well who wouldn't. But now I want to be the environmental policeman. I want a world where Frank Jr., and all Frank Jrs., can sit under a shady tree, breathe the air, swim in the ocean, and go into a 7-11 without an interpreter. I want a world where I can eat a sea otter without getting sick. Where the Democrats put somebody forward worth voting for."
- Lt. Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 2 1/2

Those are the wisest and most important words one will ever hear. ... Well, maybe not. Nevetheless, Leslie Nielson remains my idol.

More serious blogging coming next.  "Roger that Over. Over." "Over." "Roger." "Huh?!"

2 comments:

  1. "go into a 7-11 without an interpreter" ?? A little arrogant no? A world where everyone spoke the same language would be a dystopian nightmare - and interpreters would all be out of a job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This earth will grow cold,
    a star among stars
    and one of the smallest,
    a gilded mote on blue velvet--
    I mean this, our great earth.
    This earth will grow cold one day,
    not like a block of ice
    or a dead cloud even
    but like an empty walnut it will roll along
    in pitch-black space ...
    You must grieve for this right now
    --you have to feel this sorrow now--
    for the world must be loved this much
    if you're going to say "I lived" ...

    Verse 3 of 'On Living' by Nazim Hikmet

    ReplyDelete