Thursday 20 January 2011

When I'm older I wanna be...

I've been thinking back about what careers I have wanted to follow in my life. It's quite a short list, but seems to cover a huge range of sectors. For a large part of my innocent youth when TV had not yet taken its effect on me, I wanted to be a dinosaur. A tyrannasaurus rex to be precise. I remember this because I recently found a set of instructions, written by yours truly, detailing how exactly to be a tyrannasaurus rex.

It went a bit like this...
1) Bend down low.
2) Arms out, using hands as claws.
3) Snarl and GROOOOOWL.

As you can see, I was a truly gifted child... with big ideas! Come to think of it, I think I wanted to be a dinosaur because we had just got The Land Before Time on video. So I guess TV played a strong role in my life from the very beginning! My next career choice was also influenced by a famous film... Indiana Jones. I remember having a brief spout of wanting to be an archeologist. I soon found out it wasn't all about tombs, doom and big kabooms though and so that quickly dissapated.

My next career choice was a much more serious one. In my teenage years, I used to write a lot... diaries, short stories, I was even the co-editor of my own newsletter at school. It was called the Fourth Estate (use wikipedia to all those who don't know what that refers to). It really was pretty awful but nonetheless, it was an important venture into the world of journalism and press. I definitely took that pretty seriously for a while, I even did a week of work experience for a local magasine. But somewhere in between my cringe-worthy articles and the realisation that I had big important decisions to make about schools and universities, I stopped writing....

So when I was asked, in a recent job application form, why I had chosen my particular career path... I was stumped. I cannot think of one single moment where I decided to go into the environmental sector. It has always seemed like a path that I have always been on. It was a never a choice. I found geography, and since then I've just been following my nose, just seeing where it takes me! So far, so good.

Oh, and I was rejected for that job! I blame it on that stupid question. Pfff...

No comments:

Post a Comment